CDW stands for CREATIVE DECENT WORK.
We employ newcomers with established track records and foreign expertise. We provide paid, creative, short-term work experience in consulting roles to newcomer professionals and offer training through our partners and networks to help ‘up-level’ the newcomer’s transition into the Canadian workforce.
We use artistic methods combined with multi-sectoral talents to produce ideas and alternatives that society can explore and experience first-hand.
We prioritize people over projects: We hire first, based on our interest in the person, their abilities, their ways of thinking, and their interest in our methods and us. We identify or develop projects that require their skill sets after. We work with people who feel they can leave their disbelief at the door.
We seek to:
- Reveal the extraordinary abilities and intelligence of accomplished newcomer professionals.
- Build a wealth of social and cultural capital in support of newcomers.
- Creatively disrupt the conventional goals and methods of settlement.
Our unusual approach includes:
- Experimentation & exploration
- Immersion & practice
- Horizontal learning
We envision the settlement and welcoming process as a continuous opportunity to design for a better world.
We are not a settlement agency or a career training centre. We work with these service providers; they are our allies and partners.
We’re artists. As our friend says, ‘We make shit happen.’
UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO GAIN CANADIAN WORK EXPERIENCE IN YOUR AREA OF EXPERTISE
Newcomer professionals of all backgrounds are invited to apply.
Are you a plumber, doctor, nurse, engineer, therapist, scientist, bureaucrat, technician, teacher, manager, programmer, analyst, farmer, builder, designer, statistician or other professional newcomer looking for work?
CDW+ offers a unique 6-week opportunity (with the possibility of 3 to 6 month extension) for you to gain valuable Canadian work experience by re-applying your specialist skills in a creative situation. E.g. If you are an engineer you will work on an unusual project using your engineering skills and knowledge. More information will be provided in the interview process.
- Training in your area of expertise or interest
- Minimum 4+ years experience in your sector
- Newcomer to Canada (within 7 years of arrival) registered with CultureLink
- Interest in expanding what you know and opening up new job possibilities
- Willingness to learn, explore, be creative and work in a team
- Available 12 to 15 hours a week (day/evening/weekend) with up to 4 hours working from home or remote
- Access to a car and ability to drive is not required but might be useful
You will work in a cross-functional team. Training will be provided.
We are open to all specializations, but are particularly interested in building a team that includes some of the following: an engineer, a health professional, a trades person (plumber, mechanic, electrician, carpenter), an educator, a mathematician, a business professional, an agricultural professional (farmer) and/or a scientist.
PAY: $15 / HOUR TO START.
PROJECT START DATE: OCT 31, 2016
Apply with your resume and an email telling us a bit about yourself and your work experience.
APPLY BY SEPT 30, 2016 to email@example.com.
INTERVIEWS OCT 21 & 22